Allied Health Immigration Questions? Let’s Talk.

H-1B Work Visa Eligibility Requirements for Allied Health Professionals

  1. You must be a working in an Allied Health occupation that qualifies as a “specialty occupation,” which is any occupation that typically has a minimum educational requirement of a four-year Bachelor’s degree.

  2. If the U.S. state where you intend to work requires a professional license for your occupation, you must possess the appropriate license.

  3. If you will be working as a Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Speech Language Pathologist, Audiologist, Medical Technologist or Physician Assistant, you must obtain a VisaScreen healthcare worker certificate from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS).

  4. You must have an offer of employment from a U.S. employer for a qualifying nursing position.

Examples of Allied Health Occupations that are Eligible for an H-1B Work Visa

The following Allied Health positions typically qualify for an H-1B work visa because they require at least a Bachelor’s degree (and sometimes a Master’s or Ph.D degree) as the minimum educational requirement for the occupation:

  • Physical Therapist

  • Occupational Therapist

  • Speech Language Pathologist

  • Audiologist

  • Medical Technologist

  • Physician Assistant

  • Dietitian

  • Nutritionist

  • Psychologist

  • Recreational Therapist

  • Athletic Trainer

  • Cytotechnologist

  • Exercise Physiologist

  • Optometrist

  • Podiatrist

  • Genetic Counselor

  • Chiropractor

More H-1B visa questions? Let’s talk.

H-1B Work Visa Application Process for Allied Health Professionals

When applying for an H-1B work visa, an Allied Health Professional’s application must be submitted with the appropriate U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A USCIS officer will review the H-1B work visa application and either approve or deny the application. If the application is approved, USCIS will issue an approval notice, which serves as the Allied Health Professional’s official H-1B status documentation.

H-1B Work Visa Terms of Status for Allied Health Professional

Duration of Status: H-1B work visa status is granted for an initial period of up to three years and can be extended for one additional three-year increment, for a total of six years of H-1B work authorization. In some situations, an Allied Health Professional’s H-1B status can be extended beyond the normal six-year limitation if they have started a Green Card application.

Employment Authorization: An H-1B work visa provides authorization to work with your sponsoring employer only. H-1B work visa status does not provide open market employment authorization.

Employment Status/Concurrent Employment: Full-time, part-time or contingent employment status is permitted if properly documented in the application.  Concurrent employment with multiple employers is also permitted, but a separate H-1B application is required.

Country of Residence Options for Canadian and Mexican Allied Health Professional: Canadian and Mexican Allied Health Professionals with H-1B work visa status can live in the U.S. or they can live in Canada/Mexico and commute daily to their U.S. job.

Status for Dependents: Spouses and children of H-1B Allied Health Professionals can obtain H-4 dependent status, which authorizes them to live and study in the U.S. However, H-4 dependents are generally not eligible for work authorization, except in very limited circumstances.

Green Card Eligibility: Allied Health Professionals with H-1B work authorization are eligible to apply for U.S. permanent resident (“Green Card”) status. Canadian or Mexican nurses who prefer to remain living in Canada or Mexico while commuting to a job in the U.S. can apply for a Commuter Green Card.

More H-1B visa questions? Let’s talk.


Get Immigration News Updates from Ellis Porter!

Stay updated on the latest immigration news and alerts by signing up for our PassPorter news service.

Call Us