Today, President Trump issued an Executive Order entitled "Enhancing Public Safety in the Interior of the United States.” The Executive Order covers two areas: deploying federal resources against so-called “sanctuary cities” and directing increased enforcement of federal immigration law.
The main points of the Executive Order set out the following immigration priorities:
- Refusing federal funds to those jurisdictions that do not comply with Federal law ("Sanctuary Cities");
- Promptly removing foreign nationals who have been ordered to be removed from the United States;
- Publishing, on a weekly basis, a comprehensive list of criminal actions committed by aliens and jurisdictions that have failed to honor related federal requests for the detainment of individuals suspected of being in the country unlawfully;
- Taking action to hire 10,000 new immigration officers;
- Directing the Secretary of Homeland Security to pursue Federal-State agreements authorizing State and local law enforcement agencies to act as immigration officers in the interior of the United States.
The Executive Order also prioritizes the deportation of the following types of individuals:
- Those who have been convicted of or implicated in criminal violations;
- Those who may be a threat to national security;
- Those who entered illegally or violated other immigration laws;
- Those who have been found inadmissible under inspection by immigration officers;
- Removable aliens who have been charged with a crime even if the charge has not been resolved;
- Removable aliens who have “committed acts that constitute a chargeable criminal offense”;
- Removable aliens who have, in connection with an application or matter before a government agency, engaged in fraud or misrepresentation;
- Removable aliens who have abused a public benefits program;
- Removable aliens who have not complied with a final order of removal; or
- Removable aliens whom immigration officers have identified as a risk to public safety or national security.
You can read the full text of this Executive Order here.